Last Updated on
Your tattoos are art. Like the masterpieces in the museum, they need to be protected from the sun. Every time you catch rays, be sure to use the best tanning lotion for tattoos. Then you can relax knowing the colors won’t fade.
The tanning lotions that are best at preventing tattoos from fading will add plenty of moisture to your skin. They allow you to get a healthy-looking bronze while keeping the ink bright and clear.
If you’re still concerned, you could cover your skin with a bandage, some fabric, or sunscreen. Just be sure that the sunscreen you use won’t fade the ink.
- Quick Comparison
- 20 Best Tanning Lotions for Tattoos (2020 Update)
- 1. Self Tanner & Tanning Mitt Set – With Natural Tanning Lotion
- 2. Ink By Ed Hardy Tattoo & Color Fade Moisturizer Tan Extender
- 3. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
- 4. Devoted Creations #TANLIFE Hydrating Tanning Butter
- 5. Ed Hardy #Beachtime Tanning Lotion
- 6. Jwoww Shore Nights Bronzer Tanning Lotion
- 7. Devoted Creations Color Karma
- 8. Ed Hardy Sorry Not Sorry, Extreme 50X Black Bronzer
- 9. Australian Gold G Gentlemen Black Bronzer Tanning Bed Lotion
- 10. European Gold Dark Star 100X Ultra Indoor Tanning Deep Wave Bronzing Technology
- 11. Devoted Creations Camo Queen Bronzing Lotion
- 12. Devoted Creations CAMO KING Black Bronzing Lotion
- 13. Panama Jack Sunscreen Tanning Lotion – SPF 4
- 14. Devoted Creations MERMAID MAJESTY Cooling Bronzer
- 15. Dave’s Dark Self Tanner Sunless Tanning Lotion with Bronzer
- 16. Hempz MEN EXCLUSIVE BLACK BRONZER
- 17. Supre SNOOKI GIRL BOSS Ultra Dark Bronzer
- 18. SunGodz Indoor Tanning Lotion
- 19. Tan Asz U TANIJUANA BLACK 200XXX Bronzer
- 20. Australian Gold SPF 50 Tattoo Stick
If you don’t want to read the full article then check out our favorite products in the table below.
20 Best Tanning Lotions for Tattoos (2020 Update)
To keep it simple, we selected the top tanning lotions for tattooed tanners. We hope you find what you need in the reviews below.
1. Self Tanner & Tanning Mitt Set – With Natural Tanning Lotion
The natural lotion acts like a BB cream with additional benefits. It instantly bronzes you and perfects skin tone, shrinks pores, and firms texture. At the same time, it protects tattoos and helps you get tan as fast as possible. It has a floral fragrance and a creamy texture that sinks in quickly to leave your skin velvety soft.
Some of the specific features include tan extenders and color fade protectors plus an anti-reddening complex. Lastly, it is a complete tanning kit and comes with exfoliator and gloves.
2. Ink By Ed Hardy Tattoo & Color Fade Moisturizer Tan Extender
The Ink tanning lotion is a tan extender to apply after you’ve finished the session and showered. It’s rich in shea butter to moisturize the skin without making it greasy. It also has anti-aging superpowers from lotus extract and vitamins C and E. Users say they like the tasty fragrance, the lightweight whipped texture, and how it makes their tattoos look fresh and bright.
3. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
The Coconut Kisses tanning lotion is one of the top picks for beginning tanners. It sure to help you go from winter pale to summer bronze in only a few sessions. It contains a color and tattoo fade protector along with other specific elements like BodyFit, Melactiva, Nouritan, and MelanoBronze + Quad Tyrosine Blend.
If you’re not familiar with the Ed Hardy or Tannovations products, we’ll take moment to describe what those components are. For example, BodyFit makes cellulite less noticeable. Next, Melactiva stimulates the production of pigment in your skin. Then, Nouritan produces more tyrosine to help your skin cells retain color for longer. And finally, MelanoBronze + Quad Tyrosine Blend also promote more melanin production to make your skin darker, faster.
4. Devoted Creations #TANLIFE Hydrating Tanning Butter
The #TANLIFE Tanning Butter is made for sensitive skin. Not only is it hypoallergenic, but it’s based on shea butter, one of nature’s best moisturizers. The formula has tattoo and color fade protection, wrinkle reduction from AcquaCell and RevitaFit, and other anti-aging ingredients.
5. Ed Hardy #Beachtime Tanning Lotion
The #Beachtime lotion is perfect for both indoor and outdoor tanning. There are no bronzers so any color you achieve is all natural and all yours. This one relies on coconut oil and coconut milk, seaweed, and hibiscus. Those ingredients detoxify and firm your skin to make it look younger and healthier. Meanwhile, the Tattoo and Color Fade Protector ensures that your skin and tats stay crisp and clear.
6. Jwoww Shore Nights Bronzer Tanning Lotion
The JWOWW Shore Nights Bronzer shelters your tattoos with the Ink Drink Complex of beeswax, raspberry, shea butter, and vitamins. At the same time, erythrulose, black walnut, and DHA work together to bronze you now and deepen your color later. Also, caffeine, avocado, fruits, and yogurt nourish the skin to help you look stunning.
7. Devoted Creations Color Karma
Get your glitter on with Color Karma. It’s an instant bronzer with golden sparkles. Best of all, it’s excellent for reducing shine on oily skin and reducing redness. Tiger Grass and Japanese Rose prevent skin blemishes and shrink pores. Additionally, while the tanning lotion prevents your tats from fading, it literally makes you sparkle with crushed gems.
8. Ed Hardy Sorry Not Sorry, Extreme 50X Black Bronzer
The Sorry Not Sorry bronzing lotion also mattifies the skin to leave you feeling fresh, clean, and soft. It has high levels of cosmetic bronzers and DHA. In other words, from the moment you apply it you’ll look like you’ve been tanning. Then, hours later, you’ll be even darker.
It contains the standard Tattoo and Color Fade Protection blend found in most Ed Hardy lotions. Moreover, it soothes the skin with aloe, cucumber, and avocado.
9. Australian Gold G Gentlemen Black Bronzer Tanning Bed Lotion
Australian Gold designed this lotion specifically for guys with tattoos. It has a manly scent called “Rugged.” Besides preventing the ink from fading, it also provides instant color and firms the skin.
10. European Gold Dark Star 100X Ultra Indoor Tanning Deep Wave Bronzing Technology
The European Gold Dark Star lotion promotes something they call a “tattoo enhancing formula.” It makes your tattoos look more vivid. That’s a bonus as tanning could muddy their appearance, especially if the lotion contains bronzers.
11. Devoted Creations Camo Queen Bronzing Lotion
The Camo Queen does a little bit of everything all at once. To begin, cosmetic bronzers make you look ready for the beach. Next, DHA makes sure your color deepens to the max. At the same time, it prevents tattoos from fading while it tightens the skin to reduce fine lines and cellulite. In other words, it manages to moisturize and mattify while it boosts your beauty.
12. Devoted Creations CAMO KING Black Bronzing Lotion
The guys’ version is Camo King. The only difference we could find between it and the one above is the fragrance. There’s also the fact that they say it has a body deodorizing system.
13. Panama Jack Sunscreen Tanning Lotion – SPF 4
This lotion also incorporates a tropical fragrance and comes in handy to prevent the after-tanning smell. Besides that, it offers protection for your tattoos and diminishes skin redness caused by blemishes. Tanning accelerators like tyrosine speed up pigment production while Advanced Matrixyl Synthe 6 slows down the skin’s aging process.
14. Devoted Creations MERMAID MAJESTY Cooling Bronzer
The Mermaid Majesty is a cooling lotion with bronzer. Instead of a hot tingle, it soothes and refreshes your body. The instant bronzers take care of that pasty complexion while tattoo protectors keep your body art vivid and clear.
Other exotic ingredients to note include Hawaiian seaweed, Sea Buckthorn, and starfruit. These three pamper your skin with moisture and nourishment.
15. Dave’s Dark Self Tanner Sunless Tanning Lotion with Bronzer
Dave’s Dark Self Tanner is a professional tanning lotion. It hydrates your skin to keep colors vibrant. While you enjoy the fruity floral fragrance, aloe and sesame combine with jojoba oils to keep your body touchably soft. Even after you leave the tanning bed, DHA deepens your skin color.
16. Hempz MEN EXCLUSIVE BLACK BRONZER
Hempz created this vegan tanning lotion with everything you need in it. It’s lightweight and non-greasy. That’s because it relies on hemp seed oil to condition your skin. A natural black bronzer and DHA gives you a boost of color before and after you tan. And the Tattoo ColorShield Technology keeps ink from fading. By the way, it also has anti-aging ingredients like black bamboo, hempseed oil, and mushroom extracts to prevent photodamage because guys get wrinkles, too.
17. Supre SNOOKI GIRL BOSS Ultra Dark Bronzer
The Girl Boss tanning lotion features very dark bronzers that look best if you already have a base tan. It has DHA that continues to deepen color for hours afterward. Of course, tattoo-protecting ingredients like aloe, minerals, and algae keep body art bright. In addition, age-defying ingredients like hibiscus and lotus reduce fine lines and prevent wrinkles.
18. SunGodz Indoor Tanning Lotion
SunGodz covers all the bases. It has a clean fresh scent that appeals to both men and women. Along with that, the product is guaranteed to be protective of tattoos. The natural black bronzer won’t streak or turn you orange, and it won’t run off in the shower. That means if you’re in a rush to go somewhere after tanning, you don’t need to worry about cutting short the benefits of your new lotion.
19. Tan Asz U TANIJUANA BLACK 200XXX Bronzer
Tan Asz U has a Tattoo Enhancing Complex with ultra-moisturizing hemp seed oil to make your tats pop. Instant bronzers and DHA give you a rich bronze before and after you tan.
20. Australian Gold SPF 50 Tattoo Stick
If you’re not certain that tanning lotion will be enough to protect your tattoos, cover them up with SPF 50. The convenient pocket-size stick prevents discoloration of the ink. It’s also safe to use indoors in a tanning bed.
Having a tattoo doesn’t mean you should avoid uv rays. There are plenty of tanning lotions for tattoos that give protection and prevent the ink from fading.
It’s smart to let new tattoos heal before you expose your skin to ultraviolet radiation. But after that, you can enjoy bronzing indoors or outside with any of our top picks today.