Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
If your beard is itchy and coarse, I bet you’re using hair shampoo on it.
Stop it. You’re drying out your skin beneath and facial hair. It’s not pretty.
Growing a beard and keeping your beard clean can sometimes be a headache.
Switch to the best beard washes, shampoos and conditioners, and softeners.
A few minutes of shopping online will help you have a well-groomed yet manly beard.
It will be touchably soft and manageable, which is pleasant for you and those who love you.
- Best Beard Washes, Shampoos & Conditioners, & Softeners 2020
- 1. Viking Revolution Beard Wash & Beard Conditioner Set
- 2. Beard Oil Conditioner by Viking Revolution
- 3. Beard Balm by Viking Revolution
- 4. Smooth Viking Beard Balm with Leave-in Conditioner
- 5. Beard Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set by Polished Gentleman
- 6. Cremo Beard & Scruff Softener, 30-Second Beard Softener
- 7. Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner
- 8. Honest Amish Heavy Duty Beard Balm
- 9. Old Spice, Beard Kit for Men
- 10. Beard Softener for Men by The American Beard Company
- 11. Mr Rugged Beard Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
- 12. Balmy Beards Premium Best Beard Balm for Men
- 13. Spartans Den Premium Beard Oil
- 14. Spartans Den Premium Beard Balm
- 15. Beard Wash by Mountaineer Brand
- 16. Magic Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner by Mountaineer Band
- 17. Beard Oil by Mountaineer Brand Variety Pack
- 18. GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE Beard Wash & Conditioner Pack
- 19. GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE Leather/Cedarwood Scent Beard Balm
- 20. Beard Wash and Conditioner Bundle by Wild Willies
- 21. Wild Willies Beard Oil
- 22. Wild Willie’s Beard Conditioner and Softener For Men
- 23. Deluxe Beard Shampoo/Wash and Ultra Conditioner/Softener Value Set by Beardsley and Company
- 24. Wahl Beard Creme for Beard
- 25. ZEUS Beard Shampoo and Conditioner Set
- 26. Zeus Conditioning Beard Balm for Men
- 27. ZEUS Refined Beard Oil
- 28. ZEUS Beard Oil made with Organic Oils
- 29. Beard Wash Shampoo by Ranger Grooming Co by Leven Rose
- 30. Beard Wash Shampoo with Argan Oil
- What Is the Best Beard Shampoo and Conditioner?
- Can You Use Hair Conditioner on a Beard?
- How Soon Should You Start Using Beard Wash, Conditioner, and Softener?
- Grooming Is Worth the Effort
Best Beard Washes, Shampoos & Conditioners, & Softeners 2020
1. Viking Revolution Beard Wash & Beard Conditioner Set
We’ll begin with Viking Revolution’s wash and beard conditioner set. It lathers away beard dandruff and leaves the hair soft and shiny. This is one of the best beard wash.
In fact, if you want to use this on your head, it will take good care of your hair and scalp.
Two of the critical organic ingredients are jojoba and argan oils that moisturize both hair and skin. They won’t clog pores, either. It also rejuvenates dead skin cells.
Both liquids have a pleasant sandalwood scent and this will keep your beard hair soft.
Moreover, the company offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
2. Beard Oil Conditioner by Viking Revolution
After you’ve rinsed and toweled off the excess water from your beard, soften it with high quality beard oil.
The formula reduces frizz and split ends, plus it helps with thin patches.
Again, the main components are argan and jojoba oil. Make sure you use this 2 times a week.
3. Beard Balm by Viking Revolution
It’s easier to tame wiry manes with beard balm. It’s made of natural oils like jojoba and argan oils, plus beeswax and mango butter, but it doesn’t let your beard feel greasy and will soften your beard
4. Smooth Viking Beard Balm with Leave-in Conditioner
Don’t be deceived by the similar name. The Smooth Viking natural beard balm comes from a different company, but it’s still made in the USA.
This is a lightweight formula that stimulates good beard growth and makes facial hair appear thicker.
It’s based on olive, safflower, and other plant oils along with beeswax and shea butter. But it also has pumpkin seed oil. This ingredient was clinically proven to reverse hair loss caused by male pattern baldness.
Keep in mind, the clinical study was done on head hair, not beards.
5. Beard Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set by Polished Gentleman
Polished Gentleman offers a natural beard shampoo and beard conditioner set that’s rich in hair growth ingredients and moisturizers.
The label lists biotin, a vitamin that’s essential for quality beard growth. This beard shampoo also calms itchy skin.
Next, eucalyptus and tea tree oil stimulate hair follicles and make facial hair more lustrous. Meanwhile, rosemary oil prevents hair loss and boosts circulation. It also clears up dandruff.
Finally, argan oil is rich in fatty acids and antioxidants to make hair and skin healthier and is long lasting. Just apply a little and it goes a long way also it will leave your beard soft at the same time it will also keep your beard clean. If you are looking for the best beard shampoo then this surely tops the list.
6. Cremo Beard & Scruff Softener, 30-Second Beard Softener
Cremo knows you’re impatient to get on with your day. Their beard softener is a beard conditioner that only takes 30 seconds to penetrate coarse hair. It adds moisture and shine plus a mild fresh scent.
Instead of acting like a balm or oil, it lathers up like shaving cream. Massage it in, then rinse.
7. Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner
After you wash, apply the Honest Amish beard balm leave-in conditioner. It’s handmade with a variety of plant-based oils and butter like pumpkin seed, argan, avocado, cocoa butter, aloe vera, and shea. This is one of the best beard care products out there and is perfect for sensitive skin.
There are no preservatives, dyes, or artificial fragrances. Additionally, it’s packed in a recyclable metal tin.
8. Honest Amish Heavy Duty Beard Balm
The heavy-duty beard balm comes in a larger aluminum tin than the leave-in conditioner. It’s ideal for very coarse, unruly beards. It also prevents skin irritation.
9. Old Spice, Beard Kit for Men
Pro: Old Spice includes beard wash, leave-in conditioner, beard oil, and balm in this kit. The balm comes in handy for styling mustaches, too. And everything has the classic scent of Old Spice. This is one of the best beard care products out there.
Con: each product has key ingredients that could irritate sensitive skin type like sulfates, artificial fragrances, and preservatives. The beard oil is silicone-based and does not contain any harsh chemicals.
10. Beard Softener for Men by The American Beard Company
This beard softener works on all beard types for men of all ethnicities. It can help straighten and style curly, wiry hair.
Since it’s based on simple, organic ingredients, it’s excellent for sensitive skin. It also absorbs well into beard without making it oily.
The primary ingredients are jojoba oil, argan oils and vitamin E.
Besides, the manufacturer offers a satisfaction guarantee.
11. Mr Rugged Beard Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
Mr Rugged’s 2-in-1 beard wash and conditioner tingles as it gets rid of acne and moisturizes flaky skin. Use it on your scalp as well as your face to save time.
12. Balmy Beards Premium Best Beard Balm for Men
This beard balm smells like citrus musk. It’s like a thick butter that tames unruly beards and mustaches.
It moisturizes hair and skin alike with grapeseed oil, shea butter, Vitamin E, frankincense oil, and more also you can get rid of dry skin.
13. Spartans Den Premium Beard Oil
Spartans Den offers a 30-day money-back guarantee when you try their beard oil. It conditions and softens facial hair with jojoba, apricot, grape seed, and pumpkin seed oils.
After you apply it, it reduces beard itch, boosts growth, and repairs hairs.
14. Spartans Den Premium Beard Balm
The beard balm differs from the oil as it has a thick consistency similar to beard butter. It melts into facial hair to make it silky and easier to manage.
15. Beard Wash by Mountaineer Brand
Choose from a variety of fragrances when you buy the beard wash handmade by Mountaineer Brand. For example, this one smells like citrus and spice. But there are others like lime and sage or patchouli and peppermint.
There are no sulfates or artificial dyes in the bottle. Instead, the beard shampoo is based on glycerin, coconut oil, and essential oils. It’s gentle, and it leaves your hair and skin clean and moisturized.
16. Magic Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner by Mountaineer Band
Whether you have a soul patch or a beard like a lumberjack, this leave-in conditioner will keep the hair well-groomed. It’s handmade in the USA with natural ingredients like grapeseed oil and beeswax.
Also, it has no parabens, dyes, or artificial fragrances. The delicious scent comes from essential oils.
17. Beard Oil by Mountaineer Brand Variety Pack
For extra moisture and softening, apply the beard oil. It adds shine to whiskers while it conditions the skin underneath.
If you don’t want to drown out the scent of your cologne, grab the Barefoot unscented version.
18. GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE Beard Wash & Conditioner Pack
You don’t need to visit the barbershop if you have Grave Before Shave’s beard shampoo and conditioner pack. Both products contain argan oil to improve beard growth and strengthen existing hair. They also recommend them for your scalp and head hair.
We feel this is one of the best beard shampoos out there.
19. GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE Leather/Cedarwood Scent Beard Balm
Yes, they call it the Aphrodisiac Beard Balm because it has an attractive masculine scent.
The balm softens and tames whiskers with coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax, and other natural ingredients.
20. Beard Wash and Conditioner Bundle by Wild Willies
Wild Willies’ bundle of beard wash and conditioner invigorates your skin with eucalyptus and peppermint oils. While it tingles, it fortifies facial hair and moisturizes the skin.
21. Wild Willies Beard Oil
After your shower, use Wild Willies Beard Oil. It comes in a spray bottle for no-mess application. It’s also free of dyes and preservatives.
22. Wild Willie’s Beard Conditioner and Softener For Men
If your whiskers are rough, try Wild Willie’s Beard softener before you apply the beard oil. It sinks in down to the follicles to rejuvenate your skin and facial hair.
It has no sulfates or parabens, and the ingredients are 80% organic. The label lists aloe oil, castor oil, wheat protein, panthenol, glycerin, meadowfoam seed oil, and MCT oil.
23. Deluxe Beard Shampoo/Wash and Ultra Conditioner/Softener Value Set by Beardsley and Company
Beardsley and Company flavors their beard wash and conditioner. This is a significant bonus as I’m sure you know. Regular hair shampoo is just plain nasty.
Their beard shampoo smells and tastes like allspice and the conditioner like wild berry.
We feel this is one of the best beard shampoos out there.
24. Wahl Beard Creme for Beard
Wahl makes a lotion for beards with aromatic scent. It’s created with botanical ingredients that soothe the skin and soften whiskers.
For best results, spray on the lotion, massage it in, then beard brush and style.
The water-based formula contains Manuka oil, meadowfoam seed oil, clove oil, jojoba seed oil, and more.
25. ZEUS Beard Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Zeus includes Dragon’s Blood in their beard shampoo and conditioner. No, this isn’t an ingredient lifted from Harry Potter.
Dragon’s blood is a resin from a South American tree used to regenerate skin and beard.
Other ingredients include jojoba, aloe vera, and argan oils plus pro-vitamin B5 and aloe. Both formulas are free of sulfates and parabens. They come in three scents like vanilla rum, sandalwood, or verbena lime. We feel this is one of the best beard shampoos out there.
26. Zeus Conditioning Beard Balm for Men
This conditioning balm softens and relaxes facial hair to make it easier to style.
It adds shine with shea butter while aloe calms irritated skin and beeswax improves styleability.
27. ZEUS Refined Beard Oil
If you have skin that tends to break out easily, try this beard oil. It’s specifically designed for acne-prone skin.
The lightweight formula sinks in fast but won’t leave any residue behind. It’s based on soybean, avocado, argan, and almond oils. As a result, it also fights premature aging of the skin.
28. ZEUS Beard Oil made with Organic Oils
If you prefer organic products, this beard oil is ideal for you. It’s made of safflower seed, grapeseed, and argan oils along with Vitamin E and an all-natural fragrance.
29. Beard Wash Shampoo by Ranger Grooming Co by Leven Rose
Invigorate your skin and hair every time you wash with this beard shampoo conditioner. The beard shampoo tea tree and peppermint oils to clear up beard dandruff and reduces beard itch.
Furthermore, it’s pH-balanced to protect the beard and skin and has coconut-derived cleansers that won’t strip natural oil. The ingredients are 73% organic.
30. Beard Wash Shampoo with Argan Oil
The Beard Shampoo comes in a compact form and ideal to carry while traveling.
This beard wash is made of exotic ingredients from the United States. It has organic argan oil, natural oils, and aloe leaf extract.
The beard shampoo conditions while it can cleanse your beard, and won’t leave dry skin
Happily, the beard balm also comes in solid form, so it’s easy to pack on a flight a beard soap can also do the same job.
Related: Beard soap buyers guide
What Is the Best Beard Shampoo and Conditioner?
The hair on your face is different from the hair on your head.
Regular beard shampoo strips oils. It will make your beard look brittle.
Instead, strengthen your facial hair with a face wash that adds moisture while it cleanses.
Then follow up with a leave-in conditioner, oil, balm, or beard softener.
They will smooth the cuticle, make your beard easier to style, and take care of your skin, too.
At a minimum, wash your beard and condition it every other day.
Can You Use Hair Conditioner on a Beard?
At a minimum, using hair conditioner on your beard is better than not moisturizing it at all.
But since you’re reading this article, I can tell you’re interested in more than the minimum.
How Soon Should You Start Using Beard Wash, Conditioner, and Softener?
Beard wash products are made to take care of your face, too. It’s never too soon to start using them.
Take care of your scruff from day one.
Wash your beard to Minimize itchiness while your beard starts to grow by conditioning it.
Grooming Is Worth the Effort
Your beard is likely the first thing people will notice when they see you.
Therefore, take the time to wash, condition, and groom your facial hair.
Good men’s grooming kit also encourages hair growth. Start brushing or combing your beard comb right away to stimulate circulation and help the hairs grow straight to make sure you do this on a daily basis to remove dirt and grime of any kind. Always remember that it is important to have a grooming routine for cleaning your beard so that the look and feel is consistent.
Check out our article on the best beard growth kits to learn more about maintaining your beard.
If you want a beard that will make every other man jealous, don’t cut corners. Indulge yourself and pamper those whiskers. You’ll soon see that it’s worth it.
The best beard washes and conditioners are those made specifically for facial hair.
Then, beard softeners are essential for styling and shine.
Let us know what your favorite beard grooming product in the comments below.
1. https://www.webmd.com/men/features/beard-care-tips#1 by R. Morgan Griffin, published March 24, 2015, accessed August 13, 2019
2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/ by Young Hye Cho, et al., published April 23, 2014, accessed August 13, 2019